Crash Reports


To purchase a crash report, please click below:


Traffic FAQ

Contact Us
Please click here to contact the Kentwood Police Department Traffic Unit.
How can I make a crash report?
The Kentwood Police Department will attempt to respond, as available, to all public roadway motor vehicle accidents. If the crash occurs during a time when the Police Department anticipates a longer than normal response time and there is no injury, you may be requested to exchange information with the other driver(s) involved and report this accident at your earliest convenience in person at the Kentwood Police Department, 4742 Walma Ave SE, Monday through Friday during normal business hours, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm.

If the crash occurs on private property (such as Woodland Mall) and there are no injuries, you may report this accident in person at the Kentwood Police Department during normal business hours (see above) or you can file on-line by clicking on the link below:

CopLogic Police Incident Reporting System

What are the reporting requirements if I've been involved in a traffic crash?

If you have reason to believe you have been involved in a traffic crash, you must stop your vehicle and identify yourself to the other drivers involved. If you have an accident that involves a parked vehicle, you must make reasonable attempts to contact the owner of the other vehicle. If contact cannot be made, you must report this accident to the local police department.

All motor vehicle accidents that results in total damage of $1,000.00 or more must be reported to the local police department.

What should I do if I've been involved in a traffic crash?

You should first determine if you or any passengers in your vehicle have been injured from the accident. Be sure to survey the scene for any potential hazards (down power lines, gas spills, etc) and other traffic around you. If safe to do so, exit your vehicle and check for injuries with the other drivers and passengers involved. If you believe there is an emergency, call 9-1-1.

If there are no apparent injuries involved and it is safe to do so, you must move your vehicle off the main travel portion of the roadway until the police arrive. You should have your driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance readily available.

How can I contest a traffic citation?
Contact the Kentwood 62-B District Court at 616-698-9310 within 14 calendar days of receiving the citation or you may contact the court in person at 4740 Walma SE, Kentwood MI 49512.
How can I contest a parking violation?
Contact the Kentwood 62-B District Court at 616-698-9310 or you may contact the court in person at 4740 Walma SE, Kentwood MI 49512.
How can I get my impounded car back?

If it is determined the Kentwood Police Department impounded your vehicle, you must first arrive at the Kentwood PD with a photo identification to sign a “vehicle release” form. The officer or desk personnel will hand you a copy of this signed vehicle release form. You will then go to Hansen Towing, 5445 Fisher Ave SW, Wyoming MI (near 54th St SW and US 131, next to Merl’s Towing), and display the vehicle release form. There will be a cost to have your vehicle released from the impound lot (payable to Hansen Towing). If you need to know in advance what the cost of the impound will be, contact Hansen Towing at 800-816-8429.

If the vehicle is impounded on a weekend, go to the Kentwood Police Department and call 616-698-6580. An officer will greet you outside the Justice Center, gather the vehicle release form, and the same applies.

How can I get an abandoned car removed from my property?
You have two options:

1. You may call the towing company of your choice and have the vehicle removed. You will initially be responsible to cover the cost of the tow. If the owner of the vehicle eventually wants the vehicle back, the owner will be required to cover the total cost of the tow and any storage fees. The towing company will then reimburse you for the cost of the original tow off your property. State law requires you to post the name, address and telephone number of the towing company at the entrance to your property if you have vehicles towed away.
2. If the vehicle is considered to be a “hazard” and/or limiting the use of your property, you may contact the Kentwood Police Department. An officer will assess the situation and, if the vehicle is parked in a hazardous manner, the vehicle will be impounded at no cost to you.

How can I get an abandoned car removed from the street in my neighborhood?
If you determine a vehicle has been parked at the same location for a period of over 48 hours, contact the Kentwood Police Department. An officer will check the vehicle’s status through the Secretary of State computer and, if necessary, will place an orange 48-hour abandoned vehicle sticker on the vehicle. This sticker notifies the owner or the person who parked the vehicle that the vehicle must be removed within 48 hours. An officer will return to the scene of the parked vehicle after 48 hours. If the vehicle is still present and not moved, the vehicle will be impounded.
What can be done about illegally parked vehicles?
If you believe a vehicle is parked illegally, you may contact the Kentwood Police Department and report your concern. An officer will check the status of this vehicle and make disposition. This may include contacting the owner of the vehicle, issuing a parking violation or impounding the vehicle if deemed to be a hazard in the roadway.
What are the laws governing the operation of a moped?

A moped is defined by law as a 2- or 3-wheeled vehicle equipped with a motor that does not exceed 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement, produces 2.0 brake horsepower or less, and cannot propel the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on a level surface. The power drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.

Rules of operation per State law and City Code are:

  • A moped must ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
  • A moped operator may not ride more than 2 abreast except on a path or part of a roadway set aside for their exclusive use.
  • A moped operator shall not pass between lines of traffic.
  • A moped shall not be operated on a sidewalk, on a bicycle path, or other non- motorized trail (e.g. the Paul Henry Trail).
  • A moped shall not carry any passengers.
  • A person operating a moped less than 19 years of age must wear an approved crash helmet.
  • A person with an operator’s or chauffeur’s license may operate a moped. A special restriction may be issued to a person 15 years of age or older with approval from the Secretary of State.
  • A moped shall not be operated at a speed greater than 25 mph (on a level surface) and shall not be operated on a roadway with a speed limit greater than 35 mph.
  • Mopeds must be registered with the Secretary of State.
  • Insurance is not required.
  • A person operating a moped shall not carry any package, bundle, or article that prevents the driver from keeping both hands upon the handlebars (handlebars may not be higher than 15 inches from the lowest point of the undepressed saddle seat).
What can I do if I observe a traffic violation in my neighborhood?

If it is a violation that you believe should receive immediate attention, contact the Kentwood Police Department at 616-698-6580 and an officer will respond as available.  You may be asked several detailed questions pertaining to the violation, such as the date/time of the violation, the type of reckless driving you observed, the vehicle and driver description, and if the driving you witnessed has occurred before involving the same vehicle and/or driver.

If the violation does not immediately require the police or if it is a general/daily concern, you may contact the Kentwood Police Traffic Bureau either by calling 616-656-6580.  To contact the Kentwood Police Department to report a traffic related complaint,  please click here and select "traffic related" as your category.  

How can I get a stop sign/other traffic control placed in my neighborhood?
Before traffic signs and control devices such as a Stop or Yield sign are posted at a certain location, they are subject to meeting certain criteria known as “warrants.” If you are interested in pursuing the need for a traffic sign or signal in a certain location, you may contact the Community Services Bureau at 616-656-6561.
How do I report a missing traffic sign?

To report a missing traffic sign, contact the Kentwood Police Community Services Bureau at 616-656-6561 Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 4:30 pm or the City of Kentwood Public Works Dept. at 616-554-0817, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.

If you believe the missing or damaged sign should receive immediate attention (such as a stop sign or traffic signal not functioning), contact the Kentwood Police Department by calling 616-698-6580.
My child has a motorized skateboard. Where can he ride it?
A motorized skateboard can only be ridden on private property with the consent of the property owner. They are not allowed on any public roadway or sidewalk.

Is there any truth to the urban legends of Michigan Traffic Law?
  • Riding in a Trailer: There is nothing in the Michigan Vehicle Code that specifically prohibits riding in a trailer, regardless of the type of hitch or configuration. Two-way communication between driver and occupants is not required. Careless or reckless driving may apply in extreme circumstances if a police officer observes a particular action that substantiates such a charge.
  • Barefoot Driving: There is nothing in the Michigan Vehicle Code that prohibits barefoot driving.
  • Driving with Headphones: There is nothing in the Michigan Vehicle Code that specifically prohibits driving with headphones or earbuds. A driver could, however, be cited for careless, reckless, or failure to yield to an emergency vehicle if a police officer could show that the headphones interfered with the driver’s ability to safely operate the vehicle. Some other states do have prohibitions against headphone use.
  • Suicide Knobs: There is nothing in the Michigan Vehicle Code that specifically prohibits “suicide knobs” or “spinners” on steering wheels. Such knobs could actually be required pursuant to a restricted operator’s license for a person with a disability.
  • *677, *67, #77, etc.: This internet myth is actually based partially in reality, but does not apply to Michigan. In Michigan, as well as most states, the number to contact for an emergency is 9-1-1. Some states have a non-emergency number as well, with *677 being the variant that works in Ontario (677=OPP on the telephone keypad).
  • Alcohol in Recreational Vehicle: MCL 257.624a prohibits possessing or transporting an open container of alcoholic beverage in a vehicle. A motor home, camper, van, etc. that is a single unit is a motor vehicle and falls under this prohibition. Because trailers are also vehicles, passengers in a trailer are similarly prohibited from possessing open intoxicants. Alcoholic beverages are required to be stored in an inaccessible area if there is no trunk available. There is an exception in subsection (4) for a chartered vehicle (limousine) authorized to operate by the Michigan Department of Transportation.