What are the minimum requirements?
- Successful completion of two (2) years of college level coursework;
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a United States citizen at the time of testing for the position;
- Must not have any felony convictions;
- Possess a valid Michigan driver's license prior to hire date;
- Must have attended a police academy; and
- Be MCOLES certified or certifiable
What is the salary range of a Kentwood Police Officer?
Starting officer pay as of July 1, 2022: $30.61 per hour ($63,671 annually)
Top Officer pay as of July 1, 2022: $39.07 per hour ($81,236 annually)
**Lateral entry pay upon approval**
What is the fitness requirement?
The MCOLES physical fitness test consists of four separate events: vertical jump, sit-ups, push-ups, and a 1/2 mile shuttle run. Candidates are required to pass all four events of the test. The official results notification may be presented to employing agencies or to recruit academies.
The minimum performance standards for the MCOLES physical fitness test are displayed below. The numbers in the tables represent the "cut score", or pass/fail point for each event. In order to pass the test, candidates must score at least the minimums listed in the tables on each of the four events.
Note how the tables are divided according to age and sex. When looking at the tables, be careful to select your individual performance category.
What is the sponsored police recruit process?
- Complete Online Application
- Oral Board interviews
- Complete and Submit Background Questionnaire
- Complete MCOLES Physical Agility, Reading and Writing Test
- Pass Background Investigation
- Complete EMPCO Exam
- Second Round Interview
- Conditional Offer
- Physical and Psychological Exam
- Attend GVSU Police Academy Orientation
- Successfully complete GVSU Police Academy
- Sworn in as a full-time Police Officer with the Kentwood Police Department
What benefits do officers have?
- Overtime paid at 1.5x or may be converted to compensatory time off
- Medical insurance
- Parental Leave (four weeks paid leave following birth or adoption, additional two weeks for employees giving birth)
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Retirement/401K (9% employer contribution, 6% employee)
- 80 paid vacation hour after 6 months, up to 160 annually (may carry over 348 hours)
- 96 paid sick hours annually
- 12 paid holidays
- Secondary language pay
- Education bonus
What specialized divisions opportunities does the department provide?
- Criminal Investigations Division (10-hour investigation division shifts)
- Combined Auto Theft Team
- Metropolitain Pattern crime Task Force
- Special Investigations Unit
- Patrol Division (10-hour patrol division shifts)
- Crisis Negotiation Team
- Training Officer Instructor
- Recruitment Officer
- Field Training Officer
- Community Services Officer
- School Resource Officer
- Traffic Services Bureau
- Traffic Crash Reconstruction
- Motorcycle Unit
- Honor Guard
- Bicycle Team
- Drone Committee
- Special Response Team
What is the departments tattoo/facial hair policy?
- Visible tattoos that fit within our tattoo policy are allowed.
- Facial hair not exceeding a half inch and within policy guidelines is allowed.