Community Members Invited to Shop Local at the Kentwood Farmers Market June 16-Sept. 29
Eighth Season to Feature Variety of Goods From 30-Plus Vendors and Special Activities
The Kentwood Farmers Market will return for its eighth season June 16-Sept. 29 with more than 30 local vendors and a variety of special activities.
The market will take place 4:30-7:30 p.m. each Thursday except Sept. 8 behind Kentwood City Hall, 4900 Breton Ave. SE. With a longer 15-week season and more vendors than ever before, the market will provide opportunities for community members to buy an array of local goods ranging from fresh produce, baked goods, syrup and cheese to fresh-cut flowers, coffee and handmade items all summer long.
In addition to exploring vendor items, there will be food trucks on-site each week offering a range of cuisines for purchase, along with themed nights featuring free activities for marketgoers.
Community members are also invited to attend Kentwood’s Summer Concert Series, which overlaps with the market’s Thursday evening schedule. Free to attend, each concert will take place 7-8:30 p.m. on the lawn behind City Hall.
Here’s the full lineup of the free activities, food trucks and concerts:
- June 16: Opening day celebration featuring a food demonstration and food samples; El Jalapeño, Kona Ice of Lowell and Patty Matters food trucks; The Max Lockwood Band concert at 7 p.m.
- June 23: Falafel Truck, Kool Breze and Sanse Filipino Cuisine food trucks; Out of Favor Boys concert at 7 p.m.
- June 30: Mapocho, Patty Matters and Taste of Toya’s World food trucks; The Soul Syndicate concert at 7 p.m.
- July 7: Dog Days of Summer featuring dog vendors, pet portraits, a dog walk and dog adoptions; Taste of Toya’s World food truck
- July 14: Falafel Truck, Kool Breze and Mapocho food trucks; Par-llo Connection concert at 7 p.m.
- July 21: Dune Buggy, Kona Ice and Sanse Filipino Cuisine food trucks; Cabildo concert at 7 p.m.
- July 28: El Jalapeño, Kool Breze and Mapocho; Grand Rapids Jazz Orchestra concert at 7 p.m.
- Aug. 4: El Jalapeño, Patty Matters and Taste of Toya’s World food trucks; The Moxie Strings concert at 7 p.m.
- Aug. 11: National Farmers Market Week celebration featuring a food demonstration and food samples; Falafel Truck, Kona Ice, Sanse Filipino Cuisine and Taste of Toya’s World food trucks; Brena concert at 7 p.m.
- Aug. 18: Back to School Night featuring a student showcase of local musicians; Patty Matters food truck.
- Aug. 25: Charcuterie Challenge, a food assembly showdown using only farmers market ingredients; Sanse Filipino Cuisine food truck.
- Sept. 1: Kid’s Day featuring a meet and greet with animals from the John Ball Zoo, crafts and more; Kool Breze food truck.
- Sept. 15: Bike Day featuring bike vendors and demonstrations; Falafel Truck.
- Sept. 22: Fall Equinox Day Dune Buggy food truck.
- Sept. 29: Harvest Day featuring pumpkin painting and food preserving demonstrations; El Jalapeño food truck; Just Jill music performance 4:30-5:30 p.m.
“We are looking forward to welcoming community members back to the Kentwood Farmers Market for another great season offering a robust lineup of vendors and special activities,” Market Manager Kristina Colby said. “All are invited to join us for fun outdoors connecting with and supporting our local farmers and vendors.”
The Kentwood Farmers Market accepts food assistance benefits, including SNAP, Double Up Food Bucks and Senior Project FRESH/Market FRESH.
Community members can stay up to date on special market events and seasonal items by following the Kentwood Farmers Market on Facebook.
There are still a few spots available for vendors. Those who are interested can apply to be a vendor at KentwoodFarmersMarket.com. The cost is $10 per day or $75 for the full season.
In addition to visiting the market, individuals who want to support the market can become a Friend of the Kentwood Farmers Market sponsor or volunteer to assist with market setup, the information booth, special events and more.
Additional information about the Kentwood Farmers Market, including a vendor application, is available at kentwoodfarmersmarket.com.