Kentwood Farmers Market and Summer Concert Series Kick Off June 15
The City of Kentwood’s Farmers Market and Summer Concert Series will return for the 2023 season on June 15.
The Farmers Market will run 4:30-7:30 p.m. every Thursday from June 15 through Sept. 7 behind Kentwood City Hall, 4900 Breton Ave. SE. The Summer Concert Series will take place 7-8:30 p.m. on select Thursdays on the lawn behind City Hall.
“We’re looking forward to connecting with community members as they join us to shop local goods and enjoy the sounds of local music,” said Val Romeo, Kentwood Parks and Recreation director. “Whether you’re looking to find fresh produce or your new favorite band, the Kentwood Farmers Market and Summer Concert Series have something for everyone to enjoy.”
The Farmers Market will provide a variety of local goods for sale, including fresh produce, baked goods, crafts and more. It will feature 20+ local vendors and include special activities throughout the season. The market accepts food assistance benefits, including SNAP, Double Up Food Bucks and Senior Project FRESH/Market FRESH.
Community members will have the opportunity to enjoy this year’s Summer Concert Series featuring eight local music groups on the following dates:
- June 15
- June 22
- June 29
- July 13
- July 20
- July 27
- Aug. 3
- Aug. 10
Concertgoers are encouraged to bring a blanket or chair and are welcome to bring their own food, beer and wine to enjoy during the show. Food trucks will also be on-site each week with food and drinks available for purchase.
Here’s the full lineup of the free activities, food trucks and concerts:
- June 15: Opening day celebration featuring Patty Matters, Street Chef Shaw, Kool Breeze and Kona Ice food trucks as well as the Azz-Izz Band concert at 7 p.m., playing old-school, new pop, Motown and funk.
- June 22: El Jalapeño, Sanse Filipino Cuisine, Taste of Toya’s World and Dolce Maria food trucks and Wity Sound Band concert at 7 p.m., performing a fusion of salsa, Cuban timba, rock ’n’ roll and American music.
- June 29: Around Baking Company, Let’z Taco Bout It, Street Frites and Semifreddo food trucks; Cabildo concert at 7 p.m., playing a blend of cumbia, Ska, folk and other genres of music from Latin and South America.
- July 6: Bike Day featuring bike vendors and a group bike ride to Railtown Brewing. Food trucks include Street Chef Shaw and Semifreddo.
- July 13: El Jalapeño, Taste of Toya’s World, Falafel Truck and Kool Breeze food trucks and Chicago Farmer and the Field Notes concert at 7 p.m., performing gritty country rock and folk.
- July 20: Falafel Truck, Let’z Taco Bout It, Sanse Filipino Cuisine, Skinny Kenny’s BBQ and Ohana Hawaiian Ice food trucks and Good Morning Bedlam concert at 7 p.m., playing high-energy folk music.
- July 27: Around Baking Company, El Jalapeno, Patty Matters and Semifreddo food trucks and Big Band Nouveau concert at 7 p.m., performing modern jazz in a full big band orchestra.
- Aug. 3: Patty Matters, Sanse Filipino Cuisine, Falafel Truck, Street Chef Shaw and Kona Ice food trucks and Brena concert at 7 p.m., playing oldies, Top 40 hits, classic rock, R&B, country and more.
- Aug. 10: National Farmers Market Week celebration featuring a food demonstration and food samples, Around Baking Company, Falafel Truck, Kool Breeze and Dolce Maria food trucks and RocknSoul concert at 7 p.m. performing a mix of songs from the 60’s to current hits.
- Aug. 17: Kids Day featuring a meet and greet with John Ball Park Zoo, kids crafts and activities and Street Frites and Ohana Hawaiian Ice food trucks.
- Aug. 24: Dog Days of Summer featuring dog vendors and adoptions and Let’z Taco Bout It and Semifreddo food trucks.
- Aug. 31: Charcuterie Challenge, a food assembly showdown using only Farmers Market ingredients, and El Jalapeño and Dune Buggy food trucks.
- Sept. 7: End of season celebration with food demos and samples and Patty Matters and Semifreddo food trucks.
Parking will be limited at both City Hall and the Kent District Library – Kentwood (Richard L. Root) Branch, 4950 Breton Ave. SE. Residents can find additional parking options at the Kentwood Justice Center, 4740 Walma Ave. SE, Kentwood Fire Station 1, 4775 Walma SE; Kentwood Public Works, 5068 Breton Road SE; and street parking in nearby neighborhoods.
The Kentwood Farmers Market still has a few openings vendor for vendors and volunteers. Individuals who are interested can learn more and apply at KentwoodFarmersMarket.com.