Join the City of Kentwood’s Community Effort to Restock the Little Free Pantry
The City of Kentwood’s Little Free Pantry is in immediate need of donations, and the City is encouraging local businesses, organizations and community members to get involved.
The Little Free Pantry is a free resource that provides food and personal care items to community members who are under-resourced. Anyone can give to or take from the pantry, with no questions asked and no application needed.
The pantry operates year-round and has locations at the Kentwood Activities Center, 355 48th St. SE, and the Kent District Library – Kentwood (Richard L. Root) Branch, 4950 Breton Ave. SE.
The pantry is typically stocked through donations and food drives from the community. Use of the Little Free Pantry has seen a steady increase over the past few years, and immediate assistance is needed. Preferred donations include canned and nonperishable food items and personal care items. A list of suggestions and a link to make financial contributions can be found at kentwood.us/LittleFreePantry.
“We typically see most of our donations come through during the holiday season, but there is need all year,” said Val Romeo, director of parks and recreation. “We’re urging community members to consider donating to this valuable resource. Any donation directly helps someone in our community, whether it’s a single item or an entire grocery cart.”
There are several pantry donation drop-off locations throughout Kentwood. Collection hours and locations are as follows:
- Kentwood Activities Center, 355 48th St. SE: Donations may be dropped off 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday.
- Kentwood City Hall, 4900 Breton Ave. SE: Donations may be placed inside the collection bin 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday and 7:30 a.m.-noon Friday.
- Kent District Library – Kentwood (Richard L. Root) Branch, 4950 Breton Ave. SE: Donations may be placed inside the collection bin located in the lobby 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday.
- Kentwood Justice Center, 4740 Walma Ave. SE: Donations may be placed inside the collection bin 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Kentwood Public Works, 5068 Breton Ave. SE: Donations may be placed inside the collection bin 6:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Kentwood Fall Leaf and Brush Drop-off, 5068 Breton Ave. SE: Donations may be placed in the bin while the site is operating noon-8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon-6 p.m. Sunday. Please note: The leaf and brush drop-off service is only available to Kentwood residents.
Kentwood’s Little Free Pantry was established in 2017 as a Martin Luther King Jr. Day community service project to fill an immediate and local need. A second location was added in 2021.
To make a financial donation and find more information about Kentwood’s Little Free Pantry, visit kentwood.us/LittleFreePantry.